- Last Updated: 06 November 2020 06 November 2020
Department of Dredging
Barnstable County, Massachusetts
Ken Cirillo, Dredge Manager
Jason Bevis, Dredge Superintendent
Richard Randall, Maintenance Engineer
Tanner Dailey, Site Foreman
Chris Armstrong, Dredge Leverman
Cory Fleming, Dredge Leverman
Andrew Dipietro, Deckhand
Chris Wiinikainen, Deckhand
VHF Hailing Channel
VHF Working Channel
Barnstable County Dredge Program, Barnstable, Massachusetts
In 1993, Barnstable County conducted a needs assessment and cost benefit analysis of operating a municipal dredge program on behalf of the towns. This report documented that a County operated maintenance-dredging program would be both beneficial to the towns and cost effective to operate.
The County and its legislative delegation approached the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management (DEM) and requested financial assistance in the form of a $1 million capital grant for the purchase of a dredge and ancillary equipment. Prior to this grant, the state was responsible for funding 75% of the cost of municipal dredge projects and the town was responsible for the remaining 25%. However, funding constraints at the state level meant that much of the dredge work was not completed on a timely basis or was never accomplished. As stipulated in the grant Agreement, the provision of a capital grant replaces the state funding for municipal dredge projects here on the Cape.
The Barnstable County Dredge Advisory Committee was established in October of 1994. The Committee has representation from all of the Cape towns, except Brewster, which has no navigable harbors, DEM and County staff. The Advisory Committee is responsible for developing the dredge schedule and recommending the dredge rate each fiscal year.
The Barnstable County Dredge Codfish provides dredging service to towns at approximately 70% below the market rate. The dredged material has been used to successfully renourish many of the Cape's beaches, while at the same time allowing ease of navigation in several harbors and riverways.